Background

Friday, June 7, 2013

John 13.7

John 13.7
Jesus replied, "You do not realize what I am doing, but later you will understand."

This passage really struck me today as I was reflecting back on everything that has happened this past year.
Many times I have been in prayer begging God to show me direction, to help me understand why things were happening as they were. I know in my mind at the time I reminded myself that I needed to look at the bigger picture. That perhaps, God was using each obstacle and each opportunity to prune me into the person he created me to be. However, as I was reflecting on this passage in this way I began to wonder exactly what context Jesus was saying these words.

When I looked up the passage/chapter I found these words are spoken to his disciples as they are questioning what he is doing (and I was doing in a similar fashion...) After reading chapter 13 I was able to see a more precise picture of what was happening as Jesus was talking to his disciples.

The washing of feet is one important aspect of New Testament times. Foot washing was done by the poor or  by someone of a lower societal status. Only when individuals were showing great love would "equals" drop down to clean off their loved one's feet. Can you picture yourself washing someone's feet who had been walking around on the dirty roads and having been covered only by the straps on the sandals?

If you know me pretty well you would know that  I have this "foot thing"... And It's not a positive "foot thing". I dislike feet quite a bit (x100). The thought of getting down and cleaning someone's foot after they had been sweating and walking around in dirt all day is definitely not appealing to me. It would cause me to become very uncomfortable if i didn't have the proper latex gloves to provide as a barrier to the foot in which I was washing (With hopefully lavender smelling soap mixed into the water) .

As I am sure you probably already know they didn't have the luxury of latex gloves or lavender soap to make the experience more enjoyable for the person doing the washing. However, when I began looking deeper into the meaning of the foot washing I realized that's not what it's about at all. It's not about the comfort of the person washing the foot. Foot washing is all about being humble; laying down one's comfort for the love of their neighbor.

As i reflected back onto the passage of Jesus telling his disciples "You do not realize what i am doing, but later you will understand" I came to a realization myself concerning this past year. Everything that I encountered that made me "uncomfortable" in my skin, or had me frightened and leery of what God was doing perhaps was not for my comfort at all. It was helping me develop my relationship with Christ so that through my discomfort i would better glorify him and testify of his love and faithfulness.

I have a God who holds me as I search for answers to certain things. But I believe my trials are all for the furthering of his kingdom. For me this passage was reflective of my desire to accomplish things that make me uncomfortable. Foot washing would be one thing. I knew when I accepted salvation it wouldn't be daisy and roses everyday. However, I knew there was a promise of a glorious ending for those who endure the hardships of this world and prosecution in Jesus' name.

A picture of every knee bowed and tongue confessing God has the fire in my soul ignited to go out and make disciples. I'll get down and dirty, maybe I will figuratively "wash feet" for people as they are searching for God's love. Goodness, I will have a huge smile on my face perhaps the next time I wash one of my patients feet! :) I know in those moments I will recall exactly what Christ calls me as a follower to do daily; to give up my desires and comfort for his mission. Just as Christ showed humility,  I desire to become more like him.



" I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use the, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do."
- Corrie Ten Boom -


1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear this today! Isn't it great to know that Jesus promised them "later you will understand"? There are some things in my life from a few years ago that I didn't understand at the time, but now I can look back and see how God was working in them. And that gives me more faith to face the things that don't make sense in my life now.

    ReplyDelete