Background

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Quenching the Spirit

I started my day out running 6 miles and listening to Francis Chan's "The biggest lie of your life" sermon on Youtube.
Since it took me 1 hr to run the six miles I had a lot of time to really think about what he was talking about and reflect it back on my life.
This past Thursday I spoke at our schools FCA meeting. I talked about following God's will for your life.
It was not until today that I began to realize that part of following God's will for our lives is listening to the spirit when it calls us. And I realized I wasn't being 100% obedient to Christ and the Holy spirit.
I took a spiritual gifts assessment about a week ago. Given this spiritual make-over I have gone through it only made sense for me to re-examine my spirit and see perhaps where God would have blessed me with fruit to share. The results were that I was highest in Showing mercy, and tied for pastor/Shepard and serving.
I thought to myself... what?! Pastor/Shepard?
I was not surprised at all that I was highest in showing mercy. My major is nursing after all.  but Pastor/Shepard? That's like... leading people, like get up in front of groups of people to talk to them about God, talk to them about following the Bible. I don't do that. I am a side conversation, small group, share my faith to close friends type of person. But for me to be called to stand up in front of a group and speak to them about the love of God and what he commands us to do was something I would never claim for myself. 
If this was a white elephant gift exchange event you bet I would be the first one to try and switch out my "Pastor/Shepard" fruit of the spirit for someone else's "giving" spirit. 
As I was preparing for my little speech for FCA I was very nervous about saying the right thing, about having if "flow" correctly, and even about how long it would take me to do it!
When I was done speaking on Thursday night, I got a few compliments on my speech. It felt good to  have nice things said but it felt even better to be done with my speech. 
It was not until today, that I realized I had given my life up to God fully 3 months ago... I promise I would follow him where ever he leads me. I would accept his blessings with open arms and work at being a bountiful fruit of his spirit.
It was a rude awakening to realize that perhaps God has blessed me with the ability to actually be a leader.
I don't know where God is going with everything. Maybe me fully surrendering my life over to him and trusting him to fully guide me in this life will give stength to others to pick up their cross and follow Jesus whole heartedly.

I will willingly stand before believers and admit my mistakes and share Gods true mercy and grace with them. We are all in this together as a body of Christ. I know God has the ability to use my mistakes to help other people and give them hope or understanding in a situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment