Background

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Difference

I am just finishing up the study guide of "Crazy love". Francis chan asks us to reflect on a time in our lives when we were on a spiritual high of had a huge moment of comittment and then fell out from under it and began living life as if nothing had changed.  I had to answer yes to that question.
At the end of high school I went on a missions trip to Montana. Things happened on that trip that really  moved me. I saw God alive and well living in the students that were along with me and also in different situations I/we encountered while out on the evangelical team.
I saw God working and moving... but I realize now it was not through my faith. It was through everyone elses around me. I believed in God yes, I could recite bible verses and say the right things but looking back that was not what a relationship with Christ really is.
This summer something happened. There was a change in my heart and God was in control the whole time. When I first started wanting something new, wanting to really look into and develop my faith in God I had no idea where it would take me. I'm different now. I don't look at situations and people the same.
Sure there are many times I fall back into actions that I once took, but we are all sinners. Just because I am in a deep relationship with Christ doesn't mean i am still not human. Its in my nature to sin. I just know know that through Christs forgiveness of me I have the strength to ask my fellow friends for forgiveness when I feel I have wronged them, or wronged God.
I'm not falling away from Christ this time. After the Missions trip I was talking about earlier I lost my close relationship with God once I hit college. It could have been the fast pace movement of my social life along with my school work, or it could have been that I was too busy trying to create a nice smooth path for my future to play out on. I don't know, but what i do know. Looking back now at 3 years ago... I'm a different person. I'm not just a "christian" by the worlds standards. I will stand up for God when he calls me to. I will admit my wrongs without fear of what others may say against me.
Because to me it's not about my sins. i know they are there. I will point them out, I am continually striving to be more like Christ. And it's a bumpy road. God never promised it would be easy. But he did promise that we would never be alone. Deuteronomy 31.6 states: " Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
So when I am answering that question in Francis Chans book... 
I don't know what the difference is this time between the last time I was on a spiritual high. But I do know there is a difference. The holy spirit is alive in me. I want to be the best reflection of who God is that I can be. It is only through him and his forgiveness that I am able to accomplish anything.

I found my God this summer, but most importantly I found my relationship that I was looking for for so long.


Ephesians 2.4-5: "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.."


No comments:

Post a Comment